January 21, 2009

Less Knitting, More Pudding

No knitting progress of any kind. I am poised to begin the short row section of Just Enough Ruffles (ravelled here), but because I don't understand how short rows work, I'm a little afraid. I've done them before, but I can't yet do them from memory. I love what they do -- it seems like magic to watch that lovely curve take shape.

Instead, I've decided it's officially a cooking day. I was going through my recipes and found this at the bottom of the pile. As a child, I remember eating a lot of pudding - mostly chocolate and vanilla. My grandparents used to pour milk directly onto the pudding in their bowls, which seemed completely gross at the time, but now seems quaint and homey.

This pudding makes a lovely lemon custard with a cake-y top. It comes from a family friend - a knitter of beautiful afghans who I always thought was very glamorous because she wore false eyelashes, several perfumes at once, and a frosted fall.



Trudi's Lemon Pudding

2 eggs
1 C milk
4-6 T fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
4 T flour
1 C sugar (I use about a half cup extra)
1/4 t. salt

Separate eggs. Beat whites in a bowl to stiff peaks. In another bowl, beat all other ingredients together. Fold in egg whites.

Spray 4 ramekins with a light cooking spray and fill. Bake in a 9x13 water bath at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes 4-5 individual puddings.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Claire said...

those look delicious!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Mmm any excuse to break out the ramekins!!

a friend to knit with said...

YUMM!!!!

my kids asked for chocolate pudding tonight. now i want to eat lemon pudding.

Anonymous said...

take it from me, they are tasty at 11 pm after half-reconciling the checkbook.

Anonymous said...

Less pudding, more blocking...GO STEELERS!!!!!!

revlon wigs said...

This post is just so yummy. I really want to have it now. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Tyler Jones said...

Lemon pudding sounds like heaven to me. I love it! I am glad that I came across this page. Keep up the good work.